Thursday, June 28, 2007

Maps and Space

I managed to get the mapmaker to compile on my Gentoo system. Woohoo! Perhaps I'll make an awnsome Awnage map. I remember back when I was in grade school how I would go to the school library during recess and make maps of imaginary worlds, complete with cities, roads, and polar caps. I think those early skills may come in handy. I just wish that we could rewrite the entire EL engine because it is seriously inefficient right now and limits what can be designed. I mean, look what can be done in 19MB of space, or even 96kB!!

Essentially it would be awesome to do procedural generation in EL, if only for the coolness factor.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds cool. My only question though is how long is the load time? I wouldn't mind a longer load time for that much better game play but the phrase "extensive load time" kind of scares me. How long do you think the load time would be for all of EL's textures and would you have to endure that load time every time you change maps like you have to do now in EL?

    Doc

    ReplyDelete
  2. The load time would depend on many factors, and not everything would need to be proceduralized. A couple areas that could greatly benefit in terms of user appeal: grass, minor terrain variation (dips and bumps instead of ground plates), bump mapping to give some depth to textures like armor (scratches) or skin. There has been work in the past on upgrading the ground system to a terrain map which should help the realism a bit.

    ReplyDelete